O.M. Ledford, 95, of Dunlap passed away July 15, 2011 at his home.
He was born December 29, 1915 in Cicero, Indiana. At age 17, he started a pie and donut shop and later was asked to run the pie division of Dorch Bakery in Atlanta, where he met his future wife, Ruth. Three months later on November 2, 1934, they were married.
He was the founder and owner of Ledford Coal Company in Chattanooga. One thing he did in the coal business was to design a new type of screening plant. He attributed his success in business to being faithful in his tithe and offerings to the Lord Jesus.
Later, O.M. co-founded Signal Auto Parts with Sam Jones and Mill and Mine Supply Company with Bill Lawrence.
The Seventh-day Adventists have long been the recipient of his gifts and many donations. He sparked the Apison School and continued to help them and other schools for many years. He helped build the Chattanooga SDA Church, Cohutta Springs Camp, Apison S.D.A. School and supported the Edenville SDA School in his mother’s hometown in Edenville, Michigan.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Ruth Rainwater Ledford and sister, Louise Roddenberry.
Survivors include three children, Dorothy Turnure of Dunlap, Byron Lynn Ledford Sr. of Red Bank and Eddie Duane Ledford of Dunlap; 12 grandchildren; many great-grandchildren and a host of friends.
Funeral services were held Sunday, July 17 in the funeral home chapel with Pastors Les Speer, Ron Follett and David Ryder officiating.
Burial was in Collegedale Memorial Park.
An online guestbook is at www.ewtonfuneralhome.com.
Arrangements were made by Ewton Funeral Home of Dunlap.